Spark plugs play a vital role in the operation of your Jaguar. Gas keeps your motor running, while your spark plugs provide the power to not only ignite the fuel in your engine but also keep your motor running. When you turn on your car, your spark plugs ignite the combustion chamber. Your spark plugs require regular attention, as with all components of your vehicle, they eventually wear down. The electrodes of your spark plugs are particularly important as they tend to wear down first.
Once worn down the electrode is unable to create enough of an electric arc to power your engine. As a rule, spark plugs should be replaced every 30,000 miles or so. However, there are more factors to consider based on the specifics of your vehicle and how you tend to drive. Here we look at those factors to help narrow down the timing for spark plug replacement.
How Do Spark Plugs Work?
When you turn on the ignition, a spark ignites the fuel in the combustion chamber. As you drive, the cylinders of your car need tiny bursts of energy to give the pistons enough force to continue to move up and down. The cylinders contain fuel and air and with the rise of the cylinder, the spark plug ignites creating an electrical arc that gives the piston the energy required to move back down. As you drive, your spark plugs continue to provide the bursts to keep the engine running.
Signs Your Spark Plugs Need Replacement
While you can definitely refer to the 30,000-mile rule for replacement, different factors can help speed up the wear and tear on your spark plugs. It makes good sense to be aware of some of the signs your spark plugs might need replacement including:
- Acceleration issues
- Slow top start or no start
- Engine misfires
- Increased fuel consumption
- Rough idling
- Your engine is skipping
- Your engine is running rough
If you notice even one of these issues, it’s time to visit your Jaguar repair experts to have a diagnostic.
Why You Should Replace Old Spark Plugs
The best way to avoid issues with your spark plugs is to replace them regularly. Your Jaguar will enjoy many benefits of new spark plugs including:
- Better mileage: Driving with worn-out spark plugs can increase fuel consumption by as much as 30%. New spark plugs improve mileage for better fuel economy.
- Reduce harmful emissions: New spark plugs help keep your emissions cleaner which might not mean that much to your car, but it certainly helps the environment.
- Smoother starts: Your car will start with little effort when you have new spark plugs.
- Continuous combustion: As mentioned your spark plugs ignite the combustion chamber but also have to keep producing little sparks. When they are new, they offer continuous production of combustion, so your system runs smoothly.
Spark plugs are an inexpensive component of your car, yet without them, your engine can’t operate.
Reasons for More Frequent Replacement
Some of the most common causes of spark plug trouble include:
- Oil in the combustion chamber
- Stress caused by improper gaps during installation
- Carbon buildup due to issues such as dirty fuel injectors, clogged air filter elements, etc.
- Overheating of spark plug tips due to pre-ignition, your engine running hot, etc.
These issues can lead to a shorter life for your spark plugs. You might also need to replace your spark plugs more frequently due to the following:
- High Performance: If you have high-performance spark plugs, they tend to wear down more quickly.
- Oil Leaks: If your Jaguar experiences oil leaks, your spark plugs become contaminated. Ideally, oil leaks should be addressed right away, and at the same time, your spark plugs can be replaced.
- High Revs: If you tend to have a heavy foot, your spark plugs are getting put to good use which means they will wear down more quickly.
- Copper: Copper spark plugs tend to have shorter life spans than other types. You’re looking at replacement every 20,000 miles or so with copper.
While these aren’t the only reasons you might need to replace your spark plugs more frequently, they are some of the most common. Keep in mind, driving at moderate speeds and using less acceleration is one of the best ways to improve the life of your spark plugs.
If you own a Jaguar in the Dallas, Plano, Frisco, Flower Mound, or Irving area, schedule your appointment at one of our three locations today! Contact us online here.