A premium vehicle means the potential for a premium driving experience. From interior comfort to amplified horsepower and smooth driving, vehicles from Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, MINI Cooper, Bentley, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Rolls-Royce are premium in every way.
But with the benefits of a premium driving experience come the responsibility of taking care of your vehicle so you can enjoy it for as long as possible. This responsibility? Regular service and maintenance, as well as repairs as needed.
European Car Maintenance
With every new make, model and even auto shop are differences in the service levels offered, from the services themselves to the intervals at which the services are required. When thinking about your Mercedes’ service needs, it’s hard to tell what Service A and Service B means and when either is necessary.
After years working with European vehicles – especially Mercedes – here’s what you need to know about A/B Service on a Mercedes.
It’s easy for an auto shop to simply say that you require Service A every 20,000 miles – but that’s not always the case. In fact, mileage is only one of the factors that influence how often your Mercedes needs Service A. These factors include your own driving behavior, the road conditions where you drive, length of time (not just miles) between services, and more.
The Service A level includes these services:
● Replacing the vehicle’s oil filter and synthetic motor oil (yes, it’s included but it’s not the only service!)
● Checking all fluid levels and adjusting them as needed according to the manufacturer’s recommendations
● Checking tire pressure and correcting if needed
● Inspecting your vehicle’s front and rear brakes for component problems
● Resetting the record to help you track when you will need your next Service A visit
● Replace Wiper Blades if needed (this is generally required at this point)
● Replace your Cabin Dust/Combination Filter
Service A may have very slight variations based on your vehicle’s particular model and year, but we will do the hard part of determining the personalized elements of your service!
Service B varies slightly from Service A, but still has some services that are required on a very regular basis, such as an oil and filter change.
According to Mercedes, the need for Service B, like that for Service A, varies based on mileage, time, driving behavior, road conditions and more. That said, also like Service A, a rule of thumb for most Mercedes models every 2 years or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Service B services include:
● Replacing the oil filter and (synthetic) motor oil
● Change the combination or cabin dust filter if needed (this can be heavily influenced by air quality and driving conditions)
● Exchanging brake fluids and inspecting brakes for component problems
● Tire Inflation Check & Correction
● Inspecting and correcting tire pressure
● Checking fluid levels and modifying them according to the manufacturer’s instructions
● Resetting the counter for the following Service B visit.
These service schedules are endorsed by Mercedes dealerships themselves, a strong indicator that these are the services and frequencies recommended by the manufacturer. Of course, it’s always important to consider the particular year, make and model of your vehicle before assuming the services needed at the time of service. With the help of our experienced auto mechanics, your European vehicle will have a personalized service plan that makes every moment on the road that much better.
Service A or B?
Which required scheduled maintenance is what your Mercedes needs next?
If you’re not sure where to start or what service you had last, our team at Autoscope is able to determine the answers to both of these questions by taking a look at your vehicle and checking the state of each component. After years in the field, our mechanics are well-versed in the typical appearances and states of vehicle components, which leads to a way to confidently estimate which and when the next service is due.
Further to that, a mechanic will be able to reference industry materials to ensure that the specific maintenance schedule for your year, make and model is followed.
Got Questions About Your Mercedes?
Taking care of your Mercedes doesn’t have to be daunting – let us take care of it. AutoScope delivers high-quality auto service for European vehicles such as Audi, Porsche, BMW and Mercedes. If you’re in the Dallas, Plano, Frisco, Flower Mound, or Irving area we can’t wait to help you!
Schedule your appointment for personalized service at AutoScope today! Contact us online here.